IPWireless gains momentum with handset makers
Chip and system developer IPWireless in Chippenham is gaining significant momentum for its IMB wireless multimedia technology through a co-development with ST-Ericsson on a pre-integrated and verified platform for 3G device makers.
“ST-Ericsson is one of the world’s leading providers of wireless platforms and chipsets,” said Dr. Bill Jones, Chief Executive Officer, IPWireless. “Their platforms combined with our key enabling IMB technology will enable our device vendor partners to shorten the time to market for IMB enabled handsets, boost worldwide IMB adoption, and enable operators to more efficiently use intelligent broadcast to address the looming capacity crunch driven by video and other multimedia applications.”
The collaboration brings together IPWireless’ IMB enabling technology with ST-Ericsson’s chipset platforms to enable handset vendors to integrate IMB into future mobile devices and for existing WCDMA USB dongle manufacturers to enhance their existing devices to allow them to quickly participate in the emerging global IMB market.
As a first step, IPWireless and ST-Ericsson are jointly developing a demonstration platform that device vendors can use to initiate IMB development. The demonstration platform will feature an IMB ASIC supplied by IPWireless and a 3G baseband radio platform from ST-Ericsson. Unlike other broadcast solutions, IMB completely integrates with WCDMA enabling device vendors to reuse existing radio frequency technology and antenna components for a lower overall bill of materials and greater scalability.
IPWireless expects to make the first IMB platform available to coincide with commercial IMB network launches planned for 2011.
- IPWireless and Huawei Co-Operate on Interoperable Solutions for Integrated Mobile Broadcast (IMB) Technology (eon.businesswire.com)
- IPWireless Partners with Streamezzo to Develop Integrated Mobile Broadcast (IMB) Applications for Wide Range of Mobile Devices (eon.businesswire.com)
- IPWireless Partners with Samsung to Demonstrate the Benefits of Delivering Popular Content over 3GPP Integrated Mobile Broadcast (IMB) Technology (eon.businesswire.com)
- ST-Ericsson M5730 modem enables 21 Mbps HSPA+ for smartphones; shipping in products early 2011 (intomobile.com)
- ST-Ericsson touts HSPA+ modem breakthrough (v3.co.uk)
SETsquared start-up DoodleMaths, a successful numeracy learning system for children, showcased its unique tech business at a high-profile Royal event. […]
Apple has been helping leading university business incubator, SETsquared, to showcase some of the most promising upcoming tech start-ups from […]
The University of Bath Innovation Centre recently hosted a lively startup Introduction to Innovation bootcamp for this year’s Innovation Bursary Scholars. Ventures being […]